Sydney couple search continues
3 min read
Updated 11.30am AEDT

Police have narrowed their search for the bodies of Sydney couple Jesse Baird and Luke Davies to dams near Bungonia, about 160km southwest of Paddington where it is alleged they were killed by off-duty policeman Beau Lamarre-Condon.

In a media conference by NSW Police on Monday morning, Dep Comm Hudson said they are searching dams that were visited by Constable Lamarre-Condon on the Wednesday after the deaths.

“As we all know on Wednesday last week, the 21st, bloodied clothing was found at Cronulla causing us to launch a missing persons investigation and homicide was notified due to the circumstances in which those clothes was found,” Dep Comm Hudson said.


“On that same day, the Wednesday, the accused, we believe, attended the Bungonia area with an acquaintance who was not involved in anything but has assisted police with their inquiries. We believe that that acquaintance assisted the accused in purchasing an angle grinder and a padlock from a local hardware store in that area before driving to a rural property in Bungonia.

The Deputy Commissioner said Constable Lamarre-Condon allegedly used the angle grinder to break padlocks on a rural property and did not rule out if the bodies had been moved due to suspicion from his acquaintance.

“The angle grinder was used to sphere a padlock from that particular rural property and subsequently that padlock was replaced with a padlock purchased from the hardware store,” he said.

“The acquaintance was left at the top of the property for a period of about 30 minutes. The accused disappeared for that period in the Hiace van. Returning to pick up the acquaintance and then they returned to Sydney later that afternoon.

“I can indicate that at 11pm that evening, weights were purchased from a department store by the accused. And it is believed that the accused returned to that rural property overnight and during that evening.

“Having acquired also two torches from the acquaintance. We can indicate that at 4:30am on Thursday morning, we can place the accused leaving the Bungonia area again.”

Mr Hudson said Constable Lamarre-Condon then travelled to Newcastle before handing himself to Bondi Police Station.

He also made it clear that Lamarre-Condon is not cooperating with police, but that an acquaintance who went with him to one of the properties being searched today, is but they were not aware of what Lamarre-Condon was doing

NSW Police Assistant Commissioner of State Crime Michael Fitzgerald has arrived at the Bungonia property early on Monday morning, joining homicide detectives, riot squad police officers and specialist police to search multiple dams.

Police Commissioner Responds to Criticisms

The most recent developments followed the first comments by NSW Police Commissioner Karen Webb about the deaths of Luke Davies and Jesse Baird.

Pressure has been mounting on the Commissioner to speak about the events from both inside and outside of the force.

At a press conference on Monday. Commissioner Webb refuted claims that she had not been doing enough.

“That’s offensive,” Commissioner Webb claimed, “In fact, I’ve already said this morning, on Friday I was in Budget Estimates, which is a parliamentary hearing, sworn on oath, between 9 and 5.30 in the day. The accused handed himself in on Friday, he was charged on Friday.”

“On Saturday morning I attended the Sunrise event at Bronte Park, in Marks Park, to remember those gay men that lost their lives there. I don’t remember seeing too many media there, but I was there, the Minister and I were there, along with many of the community. Yesterday morning I spoke to Jesse’s brother and father.

“This afternoon I will meet with Luke’s family. Last night I was on the phone to Shane Patton from Victoria. I’ve been on the phone. Of course, I’m doing my job, but I need to let my detectives do the job that I asked them to do.”

In a statement about the incident on Sunday, Commissioner Webb personally extended her heartfelt condolences to the families and friends of the two men.

“It is difficult to comprehend the grief and pain of their loss,” Commissioner Webb said in her statement.

“I acknowledge this week’s events are distressing for many and I share the sadness and shock about the alleged nature of Luke and Jesse’s deaths.

I understand there are many unanswered questions and while I cannot comment on the matter before the courts, I can reassure Luke and Jesse’s loved ones, and the people of NSW, that we are working around the clock to find those answers.”

Members inside the force and some sections of the media have been critical of how long it took for details of the initial crime scenes to be made public, suggesting there was some form of cover-up due to the fact one of their own colleagues was involved.

“I ask the community to have patience as police work to determine what happened,” Commissioner Webb continued.

“As our investigation continues, I would ask anyone who has information that could assist, to please come forward and contact us.”

Constable Lamarre-Condon was charged on Friday and was refused bail after attending court for allegedly killing former TV presenter Jesse Baird, 26, and Qantas flight attendant Luke Davies, 29.

He will next appear in court in April.

Anyone with information should contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Last Updated on Feb 26, 2024

The news team for Gay Nation love tips from our readers. Got tips or a news story that you would like published? Go here to tell us something.
Visit the Gay Nation store Now